Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Week 2: attack of the organisms!

On October 27 I went to observe my aquarium for the second time.  When I got there I expcted that some of my water would have evaporated again but surprisingly it didn't. 

The second strage thing I noticed was that I had an easier time finding organisms than usual; instead of hunting for them with the microscope, I could leave the aquarium still and many organisms would swim by.  At first I thought this was weird until I found out that our aquariums had been fed.  Our aquariums were given one beta food pellet ("Atison's Beta Food" made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americans, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, Ut, 84104.  Ingredients: fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamis and preservatives.  Analysis: crude protein 36%, crude fat 4.5%, crude fiber 3.5% moisture 8% and ash 15%). 

Eventhough I wasn't able to stay long becuase of a doctors appointment I had, I was still able to see some amazing things.  The most interesting things I saw were these two really fast cyclopses.  I had to chase them forever with the microscope to even get a look at them.  Hopefully I will be able to get a picture of them this week.  There were also many organsims in the soil of my aquarium that I wasn't able to get a good look at yet.

I was also able to observe the dragonfly larva carcus and was surprised to find that none of the organisms were interested in it anymore. 

This week I plan to spend more time with the aquarium and finally upload some pictures :)

No comments:

Post a Comment